Being Crazy :)

Even though I grew up in a small town in Indiana, a book in my hand on most Friday nights, and spent my Spring Breaks visiting my grandparents, in another small Indiana town, I would say I have accomplished some crazy things in my 21 years of life.

Growing up a swimmer, my crazy life consisted of double swim practices and school. Each Christmas Eve morning was spent swimming 50 100’s.


New Year’s Day was spent stripping down to bikinis and jumping in the frozen Lake Michigan. (One year I did it twice)!


During Thanksgiving Break I woke up at 2 a.m. to meet a friend to run around town.

I wake up every morning at 4:45 to deliver papers around campus while everyone is falling back into bed after a night from the bars.

I have been to 5 concerts in my life – and they were all for Bruce Springsteen!


I went through a vegan/raw food phase…don’t know what I was thinking there.

I have a tattoo, and want another.

I have traveled to Italy and Africa.


I ran a 50 mile race with my mother, 4 weeks before running my fastest time at the Chicago Marathon.

I have adopted 5 cats, which are happily living with my parents back home 🙂

IMG_0409 IMG_0312

So, I guess there are no “How I Met Your Mother” Legendary nights, but I think you can give me some crazy credit.

But what spurred this list on was a run Saturday morning I took with some friends. If you haven’t seen the news lately, Bloomington and most of Indiana got blasted with ice and snow Friday, causing the Tecumseh Marathon to be cancelled. Many of the IU Run Club members were signed up and ready for the race, disappointed they did not get to run up and down the biggest hills in the state.

So, we improvised. At 9 a.m. about 10 runners met at the tennis courts near the upper trails of Lake Griffy. Creating a mini aid station at the start of trails, we set off for the inaugural IU Run Club marathon.


17, 1.4-mile laps through the snowy, frozen trails. And it was awesome!

Throughout the loops, people dropped, not in the marathon spirit at the time. We had our cheer squad for a few laps, signs made up, and of course a bag of peanut m&ms for food. (thats all I ate through the entire race).

By lap 12 it was down to 5 members, four guys and myself. The slowest of the group, I was about half a lap behind the middle two guys. Though it was a solitary run, I had a blast. Running through the woods, hearing the birds and animals scatter through the trees. Seeing the footprints of my friends embedded into the fresh snow. It takes a lot of mental endurance to run an entire marathon by yourself, but out in trails the miles seemed to tick off with each step.

As lap 13 approached, icicles formed around my ankles and shoes, and my stomach was sick of icy water and m&m’s, I began to struggle a bit. But as Ryan and Andrew lapped me on lap 14, I was spurred on to finish the last three with them.

I finally made it out of the trails and started the final mile back to my car. The guys were there cheering me on and making plans for beer and burgers after I finished.

Waking up that morning, I was not planning on running a marathon. I didn’t really have any plan at all, just wanted to run. I think that was the main difference between this run and my attempt to run last weekend, when I ended up dropping out of my run, only getting in 10 miles. This run, was just a run. No matter the time, no matter how far I went, I just wanted to run.

It was 4 hours of snow covered trails and Springsteen’s “Santa Clause is Coming to Town” continuously singing in my head. It was 4 hours of perfect running.

Quick video one of the guys made during the run, I’m just talked about:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s